The dorm seems very safe; a security guard scrutinizes your ID upon entry.
Sunday, May 30, 2010
Settling into the Big Apple
After my all too brief adventure in Pittsburgh this last week, I was excited to start this new chapter in my life. I had been to New York once before - in January, for the YMA scholarship dinner - literally just for the dinner. So to be thrown into this massive, famous, mecca of life, fashion and culture, is not unlike having a bucket of cold water dumped on my head. Surprising, but great if it's a hot summer day like today.My United flight left Pittsburgh at 6am, arrived at Washington Dulles, and then I was in New York at 9:30. I decided a few weeks ago that I would spoil myself the first day by taking the $45 taxi ride from JFK to my dorm at NYU, because I just didn't want to be bothered by having to lug around my luggage on the Subway. This proved to be a fantastic idea, and I highly recommend it for your move-in day.
The dorm seems very safe; a security guard scrutinizes your ID upon entry.
My room is un-airconditioned, but a comfortable enough temperature. There is a bathroom and shower in the room which is a great luxury - all of the tiles are sage green, reminiscent of the 1970's decor bathrooms in my middle school.
There is a bed, a desk, and a chest of drawers - the same set up is mirrored on the other wall, where my roommate sleeps.
The windows are ajar, and the sounds of laughter, squealing brakes, and car horns float through it.
I set out to find a pillow, which I did not want to pack, and was amazed to find a K-Mart 2 blocks away. Something I've noticed is that many of the stores here are at least 2 stories, likely to accomodate the lack of space. Everything here is vertical; advertisements, apartments, businesses, and all the people (no one sits down, everyone is moving). I am intrigued and delighted that everything is fast paced, and seems to work like a clock. Everyone knows where they're going - except me that is, but I'm confident that I'll know soon.
The dorm seems very safe; a security guard scrutinizes your ID upon entry.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Kerrie,
ReplyDeleteI am enjoying reading your blog. You have described the city perfectly. Keep it up! Ms. Ramsey