Saturday, January 29, 2011

T-Shirt Challenge

Our first project in our APD 443, Studio class, was to create a garment out of 3 Haines brand t-shirts. We could do what every we wanted to the t-shirts, but the catch was we had to use 100% of the t-shirts. I decided to dye mine, using black Rit brand dye, but only leaving the shirts in for about 10 minutes so that they turned grey. Here's the progress! I'll be sewing into Sunday night to get it done before Tuesday when it's due. Nearly the entire garment is hand sewn.


Dress Front
For the front, I draped the top half of one t-shirt, and gathered the extra material into what was the ribbed neckline. I then draped a sash that connects the back of the dress at the right shoulder, is attached to the waist band, then is sewn into a half sleeve for the left arm.
The petals that you see on the skirt, are from the sleeves that I detached from 2 shirts.


Dress Back
For the back, I took an entire t-shirt and cut it into strips and croceted the back using a fish net technique (chain 5, attache, chain 5 attach etc.)

1 comment:

  1. Oh geez. The back of that is gorgeous! That looks fantastic Kerrie.

    ReplyDelete