Saturday, March 5, 2011

CRS 481: Journal Entry #5

I've completed my envelope wallets for my project. Here is how I made them:

First I made a pattern out of an 8.5x11 inch sheet of printer paper, and folded the top two edges of the paper down so that it made a 45 degree angle starting 2.5 inches from the corner.
Then I put my outside and my lining fabric right sides together and pinned my pattern down. (If you're doing multiples, it's usually easier to do all this cutting at once).
After cutting my initial inner and outer fabric, I pinned my pattern to thick fusible facing, and then trimmed the edges down .5 of an inch. After Ironing my fusible to the wrong side of the outer fabric, I sewed all around the edge of the 2 pieces of fabric, leaving the 8.5 inch side open (for turning inside out).

I then turned the fabric inside out so the right side of the fabric is showing, and machine top stitched the open side closed folding down the raw edges.
Then I folded the 8.5 inch side up about 3.5 inches and top stitched the two sides together, using a triple stitch where the pocket of the wallet and the flap meet.
Then my fabulous machine did a button hole, and I sewed on the button.

No comments:

Post a Comment