Today was the first time I got to sketch something for the designers! It was fairly simple. They gave me an old sketch of a garment from last season and told me that they wanted a certain kind of new stitching on a back panel, and to add an extended yoke and change the hemline. I learned that I need to work on the weight of my lines to make them dark enough to show “movement” in my sketches. So this was a definite success of one of my learning goals – “be better at sketching” aka basically tracing.
After sketching I learned how to prepare the sketches for storage in the computer system. This is basically a series of scanning, the cleaning up the sketches in photoshop then saving them with their new style number.
Friday June 9, 2011
Today I helped some of the design team get ready for the collection showing happening this weekend. I’m really excited about this because I’ll get to see John present his spring 2012 collection before it hits the runway next week. This meant that I was steaming all the new samples that came in so they were ready for the buyers to see.
I also helped some of the designers get ready for their trips to Milan for the show. This included making hundreds of tags that were clearly labeled “Milan” so that none of the pieces were forgotten.

Saturday June 10, 2011
I had an amazing brunch with my friend in Soho at a restaurant called “Peels”. We were both from NC and we heard they were famous for their biscuits so we had to check it out. I got the avocado scrambled egg biscuit and it was good, but not as good as the ones in the south. I would kill for some Biscuitville.
I have to say though, I do love this “brunch” phenomenon that exists in the city.

Sunday June 12, 2011
Today I went to see the collection presentation which was great! It was kind of stressful getting everything ready but John seemed very pleased with everything and the response was good. Even though I only had to be there for about 3 hours, I didn’t mind because I definitely learned more about how to present a line.
John had a live model there to try on some of the pieces that will be on the collection show to give the buyers an idea of what to expect on the runway.
Monday June 13, 2011
Today after I was able to edit some more sketches for the pre-fall 2012 collection. I learned how to make presentation cards using the sketches. A presentation card is basically the image with the style number that is on the display board that is used to show John the direction they want to put the line in. I also made fit sheets for the styles which is a sheet where half of the sheet is the sketch and the other half is where the designers take notes on what to alter on the garment or change on the sketch.
"on the town" side note...
I really like Chinatown. I keep finding myself getting on and off at the East Broadway platform.

Tuesday June 14, 2011
Today I continued the project on the pre-fall 2012 sketches, and also made some swatch sheets with another intern for the Collection designers. Not much else to write about because it was pretty much the same as yesterday.
The office is mostly empty now of people that left for Milan. It’s kind of sad how quiet it got with so many characters missing.
Wednesday June 15, 2011
Today I mostly worked with the tech designers helping them consolidate old files. It was very long, boring work, but I know that it is for the good of the company. It was funny sorting through some of the really old tech packs and seeing that John stood in a fit model on quite a few occasions. The tech designer jokingly said “yea he’s one of my favorite fit models because he’s free.”
One of my favorite things about working here is the décor used all around the office. This is a picture I took of the wall in our kitchen. Yes, those are all real vintage records. I can only image what the whole collection in this office must be worth.

Thursday June 16, 2011
Today I used the sketches that I’ve been cleaning up and organizing to create the first spec sheets for the garments. Every current design is “based” off of a previous design so my job was go through the current designs and transfer the old specs to the new sheet so the tech designers have a base from which to work off of. Its been pretty interesting seeing the process from sketch to tech pack. I can’t wait to see the samples!
I wish you would update more! I always love to read your blog during the summer. Life in New York sounds much more exciting than being stuck here in Greensboro working in a costume shop.
ReplyDelete