Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Manhattan, I missed you.

I landed on Sunday and got all settled into my new place in Greenwich Village.
Monday was beautiful so I went for a walk to my new workplace - yes I can walk to work it's so close! The John Varvatos headquarters is located in a very non-descript building not far from Union Square.


I also went down to Soho and checked out the JV retail store which is fantastically decorated, and completely lives up to the lifestyle brand that it is.


My first day was Tuesday and I found out that I will be working with a different person on the design team every day. I immediately got work to with the technical designers. It started out with just some filing and organizing of different techpacks. I learned a techpack is industry jargon for a "Technical Package", which comprises all information about a garment from the measurements of every seam to the price of the findings and where the garment will be manufactured.
The second half of the day I worked with another intern on creating fabric swatches for the winter 2012 colors.
This is the view from our floor.


Today I worked with the technical designers again, and was able to accompany one of them to a pattern making factory in mid town where they grade and digitize patterns. It was a bustling place that had high pitched beeps going through the air every few seconds from the plotting machines.


When I returned to the office I did more work on the color swatch book with another intern. It was a lot of fun talking to the different designers learning their background, as well as the other interns, there are about 6 others that work on different days.


On the town...
I've also been checking out some local eateries and bars in the area. Some of my favorite places were the Stanton Public Bar in the lower east side and Whiskey Tavern in Chinatown. Both had great a selections of beer and a friendly, fun atmospheres.

No comments:

Post a Comment