Friday, July 2nd:
Today was a great day of interviewing. Ileen didn't have much for me to do, but a girl named Lisa, who is the Nautica Sleepwear Designer needed help getting ready for market. I met up with her in the sleepwear show room and she was apologetic as she she explained she needed help steaming. I've had a lot of experience steaming, but this was A LOT of steaming. I couldn't take pictures because none of the samples have been shown yet. This was the Summer 2011 sleepwear collection (projected to come out March 2011). It was a very colorful collection, and I did appreciate the quality of it, and even innovation in some of it. Yes, innovation in sleepwear - there were a few tops that had an extended layered back pattern piece that was meant to absorb the water from wet hair. I call that innovation.
The good thing about working with Lisa (or anyone new) is that I got to learn about where she came from and how she ended up at Nautica. I learned she too had been an intern at VF many years before, so that's how she got her foot in the door. I was quite pleased to learn this.
Saturday, July 3rd:
I saw Eclipse today with some friends. I enjoyed it. I liked that they used many of the same lines from the book.. yes, I've read all the books... a few times... maybe.

Sunday, July 4th:
I woke up around 12, soaked in sweat, looked out the window at the sun in the middle of the sky. "Nope, not going outside" I told myself. I lounged around on the 2nd floor of my building, the only one with air conditioning, and at 3 decided I would go out and scavenge for food. I ended up at Maoz Vegetarian, a new favorite of mine. They have excellent falafel sandwiches served with fries; perfect for a hot Independence day. A few stores down is a place called Crumbs Bake Shop. I was lored by the display of a dozens of different kinds of cupcakes... I'm a sucker for cupcakes. I ended up picking (what else?) the peanut butter cup cupcake.

At around 6 I headed over to Brooklyn for a friends cookout. It was fun mingling, and meeting people. A lot of people I found were from NC. At 9 we took a cab to a roof top party right on the water and watched the fireworks over Manhattan. It was a good night.
Monday, July 5th:
The whole city was closed today it seemed. All of the offices had Monday off so I figured the streets would be littered with people. I walked through the village and hardly saw anyone, and most of the shops were closed. I've finally finished the book I've been reading. I'm too frugal to buy books so I just go to Barnes and Noble and read and enjoy their free air conditioning. You may call it cheap, but it's a win-win for me!
Tuesday, July 6th:
I started off the day with a meeting with the Human Resources Intern coordinator, who just wanted to check in and see if I was liking my internship. I got to question her a bit and found out another bit of exciting news. They like hiring interns after they graduate. I like that they like this. However, she did meantion this is much easier if the said intern is living in NYC when they're thinking about hiring... hmmn so looks like I'll have to move to NYC after graduation! Ileen will be on vacation all week, so she has me working with the designers.
The designers were a bit surprised to have me there, and didn't have much for me to do except sort out prints and art work into the hundreds of files with labels like boats, ocean, marine life, nautical prints, and an entire drawer of Marlin. Yea, they're pretty into their nautical themes there. It was interesting talking to all the designers though. Most everything they do is CAD, all done in Illustrator.
Wednesday, July 7th:
Today was fun with the designers. I got to sort the "Wovens Archive" which is basically their collection of vintage woven button ups from different labels. They use it to base their woven button-ups from and also to find different fabric samples, or patterns.

After I was done with that I helped them with their Summer 2011 display boards. Again I couldn't take pictures because none of it has been developed yet.
Thursday, July 8th:
Today I had the day off because the designers didn't need me, and Ileen is still on vacation. Nothing interesting...
Friday, July 9th:
Today I got up bright and early to work reception from 8:30am to 5pm. Again another very uninteresting day.
Welp. That was my week! 20 more days until I can cuddle with Sir Charles Hampton Worshire III
No comments:
Post a Comment