Last Thursday, the 24th, was a fun day. In the morning, I went to the merchandising department and helped them pack up last seasons samples to make room for the next season (Spring 2011). I met another intern working with the lead merchandiser, who had been there for 3 months already. She had an interesting program at her school, that was based out of Philadelphia; all of the fashion merchandising students are required to have an internship to graduate (not unlike UNCG), however they must be there for 6 months, and while there they take online classes, as well as get school credit for their internships. This sounded a little extreme when she told me, but after reflection, I think this would be a fabulous experience. By the end of 6 months any person is totally settled into their job, and it is also more likely that they would be offered a job, post graduation because of their knowledge of the workings of the company.
The last half of the day I was working in the main showroom that the President of Nautica holds her conferences. My boss told me to go in there and "make it pretty" as it was pretty much destroyed when everyone took the samples for a photo shoot in Maine. (Yes, half the design office was in Maine for a week... what do I have to do to get that job?) So I started in a counter clockwise rotation straightening the samples.
On Friday the 25th, I covered reception again, which was fairly uneventful, but I am definitely getting to know the function of all the departments. I was also able to pluck up the courage to ask Ileen about a creepy looking doll that sits on the shelf in her office. His name is Buddy Lee, and he used to be the mascot for Lee Jeans.
What's the connection to Nautica? Well, Both Lee Jeans and Nautica are owned by VF corp. Apparently he's very valuable, and is highly sought by collectors... he's still a creepy little doll to me.
I spent Saturday the 26th in Soho with good friends. We got brunch at Cafe Habana. I got the Challah French toast which was french toast style (locally made) Challah, topped honeydew and syrup - It was a wonderful start to the day. After that we went dress shopping in Soho, and dipped into a few hidden boutiques that boasted huge price tags, but were each very unique. In between boutiques I would peak in the window of the bars and pubs to see the score of the USA vs Ghana world cup game (We lost. boo.). Then my friend and I headed back to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and spent hours looking in the modern art, non western art, and finally the "American Woman" exhibit which was phenomenal. It consisted of historical clothing that women wore.
I wasn't allowed to take pictures, but here is the full video of the exhibit:
This coming fall I am taking historical costume at UNCG, so I'm hoping this exhibit will help me.
On Sunday the 27th I was woken by Lady Gaga's "Bad Romance" and cheering outside my window. When I looked outside I saw that there was another parade, this time for NYC Pride.
Monday, the 28th, was a somewhat stressful day. Ileen got a list of Carryover samples to collect for an upcoming meeting. Carryovers are pieces in a line that are replicated every season, because they will still be popular, or are basics. Sounds easy, until you see the room where I'm supposed to find these pieces.

Yea, it took awhile.
Tuesday, the 19th, I woke up at 5am with a stomach virus. eek... So I was out of order for the entire day.
Wednesday, the 30th I organized Ileens sample closet in her office. Many of the samples were old enough to go to the sample sale, but others were carryovers that just needed to be re-folded and re-organized. It was an all day process deciding what needed to be kept, what needed to go to charity, and what needed to go to the sample sale.
Today, Thursday the 1st of July, I got sad. Realizing that I only have a month left here. But I hardly had time to think of that because I had two showrooms to empty to make room for the next seasons line. I had to fold and sort all of the Holiday 2010 collection. It took the entire day, and I'll be finishing it up tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment