Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Time here flies faster than hotcakes on a Sunday mornin'

Is this really my last week here?
Do I really have to get on that plane Saturday afternoon?
But I don't wanna!

The last few weeks at work have really picked up with market next week. This week everyone is running around frantically trying to find samples for their respective show rooms. My job is to help them find those samples. I am the one who organized them. Therefore I consistently find myself surprised when I look at the clock and it says it's five, and it's time to go home. Sometimes I dream of wearing my running shoes to work, but instead I suffer for fashion in heels and dresses everyday. I mean if every other girl in the office is doing it, I should too.

Daily my tasks have been finding samples for anyone that asks for them. This is pretty time consuming. But sometimes I get to escape the sample closet and help someone.
Here are some of the highlights:

On Tuesday July 13th I worked with a woman named Natalie who is the Merchandising Coordinator. Basically, she's the one that puts outfits together in the showrooms, and makes all the stacks of shirts look so neat you don't want to touch them. I helped her decide on outfits and steam anything that needed steaming. We were making it pretty for the woman's designer, Marla. Marla came after we were done, and realized that she still had to put together her display boards, so I was able to assist her in choosing the layout of the boards, and decide on the groupings of the different garments.



My friends from Greensboro flew into the city on Friday the 22nd, and I was so glad that I got to show them around - I've convinced them to move here with me. The left Sunday, and I found myself actually wanting to return to North Carolina.... But I still don't want to leave the city.

This store called All Saints has a wall of antique sewing machines, I couldn't resist.


On Monday July 26th, I met with Colleen Kelly, the President of Tommy Hilfiger Warehouse. My fellow YMA scholar Shaughn and I met with her for coffee, and she asked us about our internships, and how we like our companies, and whether or not we think we're in the right place. After giving us a tour around her department, she handed us off to an interesting character named John Burke, who seems to have many different jobs. He proudly told us, he was one of the lucky few who Tommy had hand picked himself. He is in charge of the clothing archives. He said Tommy has the largest collection of vintage Americana clothing of any other brand. He showed us a massive room of clothing and some key pieces which included a pair of Sir Elton Johns boots ("Tommy bought them for $40,000 at auction in Paris!" - Burke), and the pair of jeans, and boots that Marylin Monroe wore in her last movie, "The Misfits", as seen below


Today I decided that my ideal job (If the designing thing doesn't work out) would be to be a merchandiser. Today after I was done finding samples, I was whisked to a show room that need primping for an upcoming meeting and was so distracted by how much fun I was having making all of the T-Shirts look Perfectly disheveled that I forgot to look at the time. This rarely happens. The only other occurrence when I forget to watch the time is when I'm sewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment