Saturday, June 5, 2010

Exploring the Burrows

For the past two nights, I've ended up across the river to a burrow called Williamsburg. The streets are not clean and litter free like the village is, but there are certainly more interesting people. There's a slew of bars, and small restaurants, and the first tiny, locally owned coffee shops I've seen while in New York. The corporate presence at Starbucks is overwhelming; I miss feeling at home while in a coffee shop.
I met a girl through some mutual friends, and she invited me out to Williamsburg with a few of her friends. We went to a small restaurant called Mercat Negre where I had the most amazing dinner and chocolate dipped, melt-in-your-mouth churros, that were still warm. Then we met a few more of her friends who were playing bocce in McCarren park. It was an interesting game. Like playing horseshoes with balls. Then we went to a bar called The Counting Room where we went down the stairs to the "Cellar Bar", which was a dimly lit, smaller space with a few people scattered around, and sat in a lounge corner.
Honestly, I didn't think I could fall in love with this city. I was very skeptical of whether or not I would like it. But this is the first place I've been, where I could see myself staying here.

No comments:

Post a Comment