I showed this to my boyfriend and got the nickname "headset":

This is the view from my desk:

But after awhile I picked it up and realized that it was pretty easy, and was really a matter of knowing the functions of each of the departments.
On Tuesday, I started working as a cashier at the Sample Sale at the show room on 19th street. The morning started at 10, and I got there early enough to see a line of over a hundred people waiting to enter outside the building. When 10 o'clock came, I held my breath as 30 people literally ran into the show room to attack the racks. I was relieved that they didn't let everyone in at the same time, and kept it to no more than fifty customers at a time. Each customer had their bags checked and held at the door by the security (We had seven security guys). After twenty minutes, I was ringing up my first customer, who like most of the people at the sale, did not speak English. In fact, all of the signs were hung in both English and Mandarin. After a few hours, I felt very overwhelmed.
Me looking pretty haggard, after a difficult customer:

Customer after customer was either rude, or could not understand that prices were not negotiable. They would attempt to haggle, and some did not give up until I had to call security over to explain to them that if they did not decide on their purchase, then they would have to go to the end of the line. I thought they were being pretty harsh.... Until I looked up to see the line wrapping around the back wall.

By the end of the day, I had many of the product numbers memorized, and was immune to the brash customers.
Wednesday, I was back in reception. It was much easier now that I had the hang of things. I introduced myself to many of the employees on my floor, and met the President of the VF Sportswear division, Karen Murray. VF Sportswear includes the brands Nautica, John Varvados and Kipling. All around the country, VF has different headquarter locations depending on the product. For example, most of the outdoors brands (The North Face, Jansport, Eagle Creek etc.) are located on the west coast. By the end of the day, I was quite bored though.
Today I was back at the show room, and the crowd was not as massive as it had been on Tuesday. I almost felt the customers were more vile however. Many of them had come every single day the sale had been open.
When we brought out a box, it was immediately swamped by customers:

One perk of working the Sale was the "Free" merchandise. Employees who participated in working for the sale were given "Funny Money" which is like monopoly money that can be used for credit in buying goods from the sale (each 4 hour shift = $100). Well, as of today, I have clocked 56.5 hours - which basically means I earned 56.5/4= 14.124 x 100 = $1,412 in Funny money. Ileen encouraged me to use it up, and I obliged. Though, there wasn't much that I picked out... I choose some hand bags for myself, clothes for my dad, some for my mom, a shirt or two for my brother, and some pieces for my boyfriend George.
I am definitely learning a lot here - Probably more than I can even realize.
No comments:
Post a Comment