Monday, June 21, 2010

Lazy weekends forever.

I had another beautiful three day weekend. The sun was out, the sky was blue and I had a list of places to explore.

Friday was a lazy day of recovering from the hectic store set of Thursday, followed by a night out with friends in Williamsburg to a restaurant called Tabare. I highly recommend it. The atmosphere was great, the service was awesome, the food was amazing. They made me a special dish because most everything was slathered in cheese or had meat - homemade gnocchi in marinara sauce. Yes, sounds boring and simple, but it was hands down the most amazing gnocchi I've ever had, and the marinara tasted homemade as well and it was fantastic.

Saturday was spent in the sun with good friends at central park. It was just perfect.

And everyone was out. Some people were OUT - in their bathing suits sunbathing. I got excited when I saw a lake filled with novices behind paddles splashing water away from their canoes, but then I saw the line of people waiting to do the same, and decided that renting a boat was for another day.


I also went to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. As a poor college student, I highly recommend going here because there is no entry fee, just a recommended contribution of $10... I had $3 on me. I traded my measly donation for a small aluminum clip that had an embellished "M" printed on it.


We first wandered around the Ancient Egypt exhibit, which is a culture I always find fascinating. I find it interesting that there were cultures 4,000 years ago that are more advanced than some of the tribes around the world today.
The next exhibit was filled with stained glass, intricate moldings, cherub painted ceilings, and portraits of people whose heads were disproportionate to their body.

The next exhibit was Picasso. I admit, I'm not a huge fan of most of his work, but he was extremely prolific. A lot of his stuff didn't seem to belong in the same section. His mediums and techniques were so scattered and varied, I thought he might have just been a bored art student.

Sunday was another lazy day that started with a morning movie, followed by a fantastic brunch at a place called Bliss Cafe (couldn't find a website for them) in Williamsburg and had the best Vegan French Toast ever. This was followed by a meandering down Bedford Ave and looking into the small local boutiques. Dinner was great too, with my fellow YMA scholar Shaughn! We ate at Saigon Grill on University Place - It was decently priced and gave a lot of food.

Yep, another wonderful weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment